Just A Thought

Just A Thought

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Im Thankful for being a Male


Thanksgiving, the one day where society puts emphasis on citizens vocalizing what they are thankful for, which I so proudly take part in with no question. I’m proud to share with the world that I am thankful for being a male. A thoughtful thought that I’m pretty sure I share with plenty of other males but few are capable of admitting it or are afraid. At the end of Thanksgiving in my house I had witness how the role and duties performed by my family members were heavily influenced by their gender.

Let me first express how I love my family and we are not perfect but we enjoy one and another company. In my family the women outnumber the males by far, so when it comes to food preparation it is strictly done by them, although the men in my family (excluding me) are fully are capable of cooking. The only time we (males) are asked to help out in the kitchen was when they needed something from the store, or when we (men) was told to intervene on an argument that erupted in the kitchen. From what I observed the women conversation revolved around topics such as: our native land (mother Africa), family functions and my mothers upcoming trip back to Africa for the winter.

While the women are cooking the guys were participating in easier activities that don’t involve much movement or thinking, for example, sleeping (like myself) or watching movies. The interesting thing about the movies that the guys were watching was the fact that they were all action packed, and violence which I found funny because if the women were watching television they would most likely be watching African films. This situation reminded me of the discussion we had in class that pin pointed men’s inability to show a soft side as a result of possible misinterpretation. Not to say that the men in my family are not educated or lack a intellectual side because that is not the case, but on thanks giving our conversation blanket sports primarily, followed by drinking, then movies and ended with remembering old events. I also observed something else, when the guys were talking it always seemed like each guy was always trying to out due the guy before him, which made things funnier to me and my little nieces.

Although we should be thankful for the things we have and the people we are blessed to have in our lives every day, we don’t, instead we take for granted the simple things. But when these things are taken from us, we would be lost or at a lost. So to the males out there be thankful for being a male and be thankful to the females because without them you wouldn’t be here. The amount of work and pressure that we exert on them daily is enormous while we kick our feet back and do our little part. I now understand why so many men go through life without caring about matters that revolve around women, it’s because when you’re blessed with the privileged sex there is no reason for you to worry, you already got it made. I’m not saying get a sex change nor am I saying it’s your fault, what I am saying is be mindful, appreciate and give thanks for being a male because I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment